Story Of Our Apartment + How To Make Your Apartment Feel More Like Home

Sunday, August 9, 2015

When I said yes to marrying my husband knowing he was going into the Military, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I just knew I loved this amazing man and I would've followed him to the moon and back if he asked. The wedding planning part was a rush, I was stressed out because his schedule wasn't wrote in stone and you never write it in stone, we didn't know what tomorrow would hold, but we were excited to find out.

When I said I do to my man in uniform, it went by in a flash, before I knew it he was on his way just days after our wedding to our first base in Nevada. Of course we had to get an apartment, or live on base, but there were no houses available at the time for us, so we were wait listed. We ended up getting a 2-Bedroom in our first set of apartments. To say it was small would be an understatement. We both agreed, long-term we needed something at least a little bigger, or at least a more open floor plan.

Fast forward months and months later, we finally signed the paperwork for our new apartment and moved in. It had the open floor plan we wanted, a little more money than our old apartments, but it definitely has felt more like home since we've been here (a little over a year). Not only does the floor plan work well for us space wise, but design wise it's nice as well. I love to put little personal touches on it and I have upgraded a lot since we first moved in.

I wanted to post a few tips + favorite things that I have learned when making an apartment feel like home.

Lots and Lots Pictures + Picture Frames

These both can be decorative and personal. My favorite thing to do is buy the frames I really want with a coupon or when they are on sale at Michaels. Of course I shop else where like Home Good for frames, but honestly I have found out here, Michaels has different but similar styles so they match without all being the same boring patterns.

Decorative Pillows

These can be a little pricy depending on the type and where you find them. I love to mix match patterns and colors that are within my color scheme, but be-careful of clashing patterns. Take photos of different ones, or if they are in the same store match them up right then and there! when all else fails, find out the stores return policy.

Candles

Get candles that remind you of thing you like. I'm just a tad obsessed with anything coffee/espresso smelling, so generally I always find some kind of coffee candle to keep my home smelling like a small quaint coffee shop.

Monograms

This may just be the southern girl in me, but I have found no matter if it's our last name, our initials, or just a simple first letter of our last name, this personalizes all throughout our house.

Comfy Decorative Rugs

I made the mistake of buying a cheap rug and let me tell you that rug had over stayed its welcome. So we invested in a rug at Home Depot. It's both super soft and even has a pretty pattern on it. Don't settle on this, trust me. Invest the money on one of your liking.

DON'T SETTLE

Lastly, don't settle on anything unless the apartment or home you want is just too expensive. That's another deal, but what I mean is if you can't DIY, invest in it. Make a home, not just a place to stay.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS