How To Stay Close To Loved Ones When You Live Far Away

Sunday, August 23, 2015

It's no secret, that were a little challenged in distance with my husbands Airforce career. Even I'll admit I was nervous going from knowing everything from Carolina to knowing nothing in Nevada, but it's a change you get used to and pick up tricks to keep your loved ones closer. So I'm here to share my tips + tricks that have helped me deal with being away from my family + friends over the course of 2 years.

Text or Call To Talk About Your Day

Sometimes when I'm having one of those days where everything is going wrong, nothing makes me feel better than to talk to my mom. It's true, I'm a twenty-three year old woman, who still needs her mom. I have no shame in that. :) She is one of the few people who can calm my anxiety down & reassure me I'm going to be okay. No matter who it is, it's good to have people in your life who will just get it and be honest with you even if you just need an opinion.

Skype + FaceTime

Everyone who has a friend/family member knows about these two glorious inventions + thank God for them! I enjoy when my parents and I FaceTime with my other fur child/family dogs back home or even when my mom asks for my opinion about home decor she's bought, it keeps me close + like I'm there...only I'm not. :P

Send Videos Back + Forth

Not too long ago my mom sent me a video of my dad snoring,in hopes that it would make me feel a little less homesick. Little videos like that personalize our conversations, it shows that you are missed + they will make you smile. :)

Send "Thinking of You" Cards or Gifts

Every once in awhile, if my parents go somewhere like when they went to Ruby Falls, they got my husband + I a little souvenir. This was a sweet gesture knowing how much I love Tennessee + that it was hard because we can only really take vacations back home with how expensive the plane tickets get. Never underestimate a hand wrote letter either, this too kept my husband + I closer while he was at basic. ;)

Always share + post photos

I try not to give a play-by-play in my social media, because let's be honest, if you're repetitive then what you do, how you do it, ect. becomes less + less exciting to read about. If we go on a trip, or sometimes I'll post "selfies" of us together, that way family members can see our faces + keep up with our crazy adventures, + when all else fails, I blog about it. ;)

I hope that I have gave food for thought if you have been struggling on how to connect with your loved ones. These are just things that have helped me deal with being home sick + made me feel still part of my family + friends' lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS